Setting up DecaMove should be simple and straightforward. Don’t forget to visit the setup section on the DecaGear website in order to download and install 'DecaHub', the DecaMove PC software, iOS or Android app. It supports most of the VR titles in the Steam library, right out of the box.
Please note: DecaMove currently only supports SteamVR, however, the DecaGear VR system will support the Oculus Quest in due course.
- Windows 10
- SteamVR: Version 1.14 or greater
- A single USB 2.0 or 3.0 port
- DecaMove device
- Download and install the DecaHub on your desktop
- Screw in the extended range antenna onto the USB dongle
- Connect the USB dongle to your PC, preferably a port on the front of your PC. If you don’t have an available port on the front of your PC, please ensure you use an upper USB port on the rear. (dongle can be connected to a USB 2.0 or 3.0 port)
- DecaHub software will show the connection status change from “Closed” to “Open”
2. Pairing DecaMove
- Ensure the DecaMove device is fully charged - the device does come partly charged
- Switch on the DecaMove by pressing the button for 2 seconds. The pairing should be automatic once the USB dongle is connected to a USB port and the LED light on the DecaMove device should show solid blue colour, indicating that the device is paired and will show a connection status of "streaming"
Note: If for any reason the LED continues blinking blue for more than 30 seconds, it means that the DecaMove device cannot find the dongle: To troubleshoot the problem, please try the following;
- Try plugging the USB dongle into another USB port on your PC. If it was previously plugged into a USB 3.0 port, try a USB 2.0 port. Failing that, try to pair the dongle manually. (Note: Instructions for manual pairing are currently not available)
- If the SteamVR driver wasn't loaded for any reason, please restart SteamVR
- DecaMove can be clipped anywhere along the waistline, either to the left or right side is recommended. Attach it to your belt, or the waist of your pants or skirt. Just make sure it’s firmly attached so it won’t fall off
- Calibration needs to be done at the start of your gameplay session or at any time you feel the device heading has drifted out of alignment
- Open the DecaHub app, click on Devices and click on the DecaMove tab
- In the DecaMove device options, click on “Calibrate Magnetometer”
- Rotate the DecaMove 180° and back to the starting position in each axis (roll, pitch, yaw). The speed of the rotation should be approximately 2 seconds per axis but it doesn't need to be perfect
- Open the DecaHub app, click on Devices and click on the DecaMove tab. Once finished, click on “Stop calibration”
- Calibration is very straight forward and should take less than 15 seconds
- Gestured / manual calibration does not require any special settings or button pressing, just stand still with your controllers in front of you and look forward for two seconds.
- You can perform this gesture anytime during a game or while you’re in SteamVR
Gameplay and Control
The DecaMove device is very efficient and accurate in doing one thing; the device allows you to navigate with your hip so your movement direction can be independent from your headset or hand controllers.
Because the DecaMove system is a new concept in the way in which you move in VR, it may take a little time to get used to. It’s not something gamers are going to be accustomed to, especially if you are used to playing with controller based movement.
To get the best experience and immersion, it’s recommended you persevere. If you do, it won’t be long before you gain the upper-hand over your adversaries, however, if you have difficulties navigating this way, you can single press on the device button on DecaMove to toggle between the headset/controller navigation in favour of the hip based navigation.
- Double pressing the button will turn On or Off the in-game overlay
- A long press of 3 seconds will turn DecaMove On or Off
If you have any comments and would like to share them with others, please leave a comment
in the box below.